GEO / ENG
Faculty of Design
Artistic Ceramics

The Head of the Direction: Giorgi Iashvili, Full Professor
In 1926, when in the Tbilisi State Academy of Arts only the Chairs of painting, sculpture and graphics were operating, the Ceramic Studio was established with the purpose of producing sculpture in terracotta. On the basis of this studio the first Chair of Decorative Arts was founded. In 1958 an educational-experimental studio was opened at the Chair. Here the first burnished smoke-fired ceramic pieces were worked out and developed and very soon became the image of Georgian national ceramics. Since 2005 the Direction of Artistic Ceramics has been operating once again as an independent specialty. The orienting trends of the Direction of Artistic Ceramics in the Tbilisi State Academy of Arts are: a synthesis of traditions and contemporaneity in artistic thinking as well as in technologies; studying and mastering constant and permanently renovating process of the expressive forms of aesthetic, functional categories; preparation of highly skilled professional designers and ceramic artists.

Dean